Great Old Broads for Wilderness is a national non-profit membership organization headquartered in Durango, Colorado, that uses the voices and activism of elders to preserve and protect wilderness and wild lands.
The Broadband/Membership Coordinator is Broads point person for all things Broadband (our name for our chapters, currently about 36 in 15 states) and is responsible for the success of the Broadband Program through increasing membership, number of Broadbands and their effectiveness. This position is also responsible for Broads Membership Program oversight and effectiveness. This is a permanent, full-time position.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Serve as the liaison to volunteer Broadband Leaders including training and logistical support
- Establish relationships with existing Broadbands to sustain leadership, effectiveness and member engagement
- Ensure Broadbands are aware that their actions reflect the integrity and reputation of Great Old Broads for Wilderness. Their actions must conform to our stated mission and vision and program position statements
- Manage Broadband information and ensure accuracy for staff and public access
- Maintain current resource libraries and share with Bb Leaders
- Manage Broadband Listserves. Train Bb Leaders to effectively use them. Monitor messaging
- Develop and implement an integrated, comprehensive and uniform training curriculum for Broadband volunteer leaders and ensure that all training programs are adequately prepared and professionally executed (Boot Camp, Leader Rendezvous, etc.)
- Evaluate trainings and programs for successes and areas for improvement
- Communicate regularly via listserve, email, phone, and in person with Broadband Leaders to provide information, tools and resources, inspiration and encourage collaboration.
- Ensure adequate protocols addressing banking, liability, communications, partnerships
- Manage Broadband Circuit Rider Contract, coordinating site visits and support as needed within budget
- Track and compile organization volunteer hours (Broadbands, Board, general)
- Identify areas of weakness in Broadband program and Broads Membership program and develop strategies to address weaknesses
- Work with other staff to identify potential funding sources for the Broadband Program or specific Broadband activities and to develop proposals for funding. Provide information about Broadband activities and needs to other staff. Share information about potential grants and funding opportunities with Broadbands.
- Assist with grant-writing and fundraising efforts for Broadband and Membership
- Coordinate with Communications Coordinator to compile and maintain Broadband PR resources, news, quotes, and photographs
- Cultivate and manage relationships with strategic partners, consultants, and advisors
The Coordinator oversees the membership staff and is responsible for all membership functions including recruitment and retention, customer service, program development, and research and evaluation.
- Provide strategic direction and financial management of the Membership Department as it relates to the organization’s strategic goals
- Set and achieve measurable membership marketing and recruitment targets, manage teams and coordinate between multiple departments
- Work with other staff to develop and implement short and long term strategies for recruitment of new members and retention of current members
- Attend community events, host events, represent and promote organization highlighting benefits of membership to the public
- Inspire and motivate prospective members and volunteers
- Manage individual donor campaigns, including membership renewals and special appeals in conjunction with Communications Coordinator and Membership Assistant
- Collaborate with all staff to ensure that membership messaging is current and consistent in all communications
- Ensure membership development is integrated into organizing strategies implemented by Broadbands
- Analyze current member benefit offerings and develop new offerings based on member needs
- Work with Executive team to develop strategic organizational partnerships to encourage membership growth
- Manage and oversee member database and ensure data integrity
- Identify communications opportunities that can be used to enhance development
- Assist with developing fundraising messages with other staff
- Oversee membership development information/messaging for website
The ideal candidate for this position will possess many, if not all, of the following professional qualifications, competencies and personal qualities:
- Bachelor’s Degree and minimum of three years organizing experience, preferably in a non-profit organization with volunteer constituencies
- Strong commitment to Great Old Broads for Wilderness mission and programs
- Understanding of land use and/or environmental issues preferred
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills – via social media, in person and telephone
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Attention to detail and ability to consistently follow through with commitments
- Ability to handle multiple priority projects and meet established timelines and reporting requirements.
- Experience using social media to connect with different audiences; familiarity with HTML and website maintenance a plus
- Computer literate – proficiency with word processing, database software, spreadsheets, listserves, social media in a PC environment
- Excellent analytical, presentation and leadership skills
- Ability to work independently and set priorities with minimal supervision as well as be an effective team player
- The ideal candidate is self-directed, self-motivated, efficient, and energetic with a sense of humor
- Broadness is a plus
Special job requirements
None. May at times require flexible work hours, including some weekend and evening hours.
Work Schedule & Compensation
- This position is a full time exempt salaried position
- The Broadband/Membership Coordinator reports to the Associate Director
- Normal business hours are Monday-Friday from 9am-5pm. Flexible hours possible. Some weekend/evening hours are required
- Compensation will be approximately $31,000 to start, based on experience, benefits include paid holidays, 3 weeks paid personal time off, health stipend, opportunity to participate in a retirement plan
How To Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to Rose Chilcoat at email@example.com by March 14, 2012.